top of page

Why Mould is bad for your health and home

Myths and misguided opinions.

Over the years I have entered many homes to undertake surveys or rectification work regarding mould and very often surprised as to peoples ideas regarding what it is and how to get rid of it. Therefore I have written this article on this subject.

What Is Mould?

Mould is a type of fungus that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere. They can be black, white, orange, green, or purple. Outdoors, mould plays an important role in nature, breaking down dead leaves, plants, and trees. Moulds thrive on moisture and reproduce by means of tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. You’re exposed to mould every day.

In small amounts, mould spores are usually harmless, but when they land on a damp spot in your home, they can take up residence and start to grow. When mould is growing on a surface, spores are released into the air and can be easily inhaled. The microscopic spores it releases infects the lungs causing mould allergy symptoms like sneezing, runny noses, chest breathing problems, as well as constant musty odours. In bad untreated cases it can and does kill.

Where Does Mould Grow?

Your walls, floors, appliances, carpet, or furniture, they all provide the food mould needs to grow. But the thing all mould needs most is moisture, so you're most likely to see mould in damp places such as bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements, and small spaces.

Myths and misguided opinions.

  • "Just open your windows." As you can see above, mould starts its life outdoors and becomes airborne. opening your windows allows the spores to enter your home where it may well take up residence, it does not commence in the home.

  • "Just wipe the mould away with bleach, it works every time" Mould settles in many areas, not just walls, the fact that you are having to continually repeat the process, tells you that the mould is still present in your home embedded in the fabrics and furniture.

  • "Mould is just part of living by the coast." It is true that living in coastal regions where the humidity is higher, increases the possibility of mould in your property. But that does not mean you have to live with it.

  • "Mould is not harmful to your health or home." Nothing could be further from the truth, mould can infect lunges, eyes and even skin, in bad cases it can kill. That is why it has been given a category 1 health warning, that the same as asbestos. There has been many successful cases brought against landlords, due to the medical evidence based on health issues from mould spores. Furthermore, in cases were mould infection has not been checked, fabrics and furniture from the property have had to be destroyed.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page